Saturday 7 June 2014

The Year In Books - June


Well where is this year going, June already? So far I am thrilled I have managed to keep up with reading a book a month.  Even though I have had a huge amount of studying to do I have made time to read most evenings, a sacred few minutes at bedtime.  By cutting back on my magazine obsession I have made time to enjoy reading books again.  So last month I read Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling and I am so glad I made this choice.  Quite frankly this book is fantastic.  Being a Harry Potter fan and having already read The The Cuckoo's Calling, penned under her pseudonym, anticipation was high.  Thankfully Ms Rowling did not disappoint.  Her characters were believeable, well researched, gritty and plausible.  Nothing was too horrible to be written to add to characters whole persona, real life captured in it's most basic sense.  Survival became an apparent theme, each character striving for something, better or worse being the readers opinion.  This book will make you question your preconceptions about society, the social classes.  Now I only hope that another adult fiction is being penned by this phenomenal writer. However I am already longingly awaiting the release of the next detective novel from her other pen name, Robert Galbraith.

So now to share my choice for June.  I have a huge list of books I want to read but again was distracted at the library by a display with a copy of The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.  I have never read this book, which is included in the Penguin Modern Classics collection.  With a growing interest in young adult fiction, especially as Lucy gets older and we share books more and more, I wanted to read this novel written in the sixties by a teenager about teenagers.  Having got as far as the second chapter already I know this is going to be an interesting read.

Are you joining in The Year In Books? What have you chosen to read this month?  Perhaps you haven't chosen yet, so I can highly recommend Cukoo's Calling.

Have a wonderful weekend, until next time take care.
Zoe
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment