Tuesday 21 January 2014

Encouraging Creativity - Writing Prompts for Children



I thought today I would share a fun little exercise I am trying out with my own children.  My daughters love to write little stories and of course are entering the 500 Words competition on Chris Evans Breakfast Show. But were suffering a little from my writers block so I thought of a way I could help them get those creative juices flowing.  This is when I remembered a little exercise we used at uni many moons ago when I did my first degree, as part of the creative writing module.  We would be given a person, a place and a thing and then had to write a short piece of prose including these things.  They can be the most bizarre of combinations, sometimes these are the ones that work best.  So whether your children are writing for the 500 Words competition or they have uttered 'I'm Bored' this can be a fun way to spend an afternoon.

To get you started this weeks words are :
An Alien
A School
A tin of beans

I will try and share Lucy, Amber and Kitty's stories, if they let me, in the next couple of weeks. I would love to hear from you if you have used this idea for your children or your own writing.

Until next time, take care.
Zoe
x

No comments:

Post a Comment